About Us

As a Roman Catholic Community of West View Borough located in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, we strive to be a credible sign of the Gospel values of service, justice and peace. As a Church family we seek to deepen the bonds that exist among all members by our Baptism in Jesus Christ.

 

St. A's Mission Statement

St. Athanasius Parish is a welcoming Catholic community of believers committed to sharing God's love. At our core is the Eucharist which calls us to use our unique gifts to serve others. Built through a century of stewardship, our liturgies and ministries are centered in Jesus Christ and inspired by the Holy Spirit to nurture and spread our faith.

 

We are Family…We Are Friends…We Are Church

 

 

Who was St. Athanasius?

 

Saint Athanasius, the great champion of the Faith, was born in Alexandria about the year 296, of Christian parents. Educated under the eye of Alexander, later Bishop of his native city, he made great progress in learning and virtue. In 313, Alexander succeeded Achillas in the Patriarchal See, and two years later Saint Athanasius went to the desert to spend some time in retreat with Saint Anthony.


In 319, he became a deacon, and even in this capacity he was called upon to take an active part against the rising heresy of Arius, an ambitious priest of the Alexandrian Church who denied the Divinity of Christ. This was to be the life struggle of Saint Athanasius.


In 325, he assisted his Bishop at the Council of Nicaea, where his influence began to be felt. Five months later, Alexander died. On this deathbed he recommended Saint Athanasius as his successor. In consequence of this, Athanasius was unanimously elected Patriarch in 326.


His refusal to tolerate the Arian heresy was the cause of many trials and persecutions for Saint Athanasius. He spent seventeen of the forty-six years of his episcopate in exile. After a life of virtue and suffering, this intrepid champion of the Catholic Faith, the greatest man of this time, died in peace on May 2, 373. Saint Athanasius was a Bishop and Doctor of the Church.

 

 

Parish History

 

Bishop Regis Canevin founded St. Athanasius Parish April 25, 1907 and named Father A.M. Yochum the first pastor.  The first church-school building was dedicated on June 6, 1909. The new parish quickly outgrew its facilities necessitating the building of a new church and school.

 

The present church, built under the leadership of Father August Vogt was dedicated on May 2, 1943. Father Tomas Lappan directed the building of the new school in 1957.

 

Throughout its 100-year history, Saint Athanasius has continued to grow and flourish. Today we count almost 2,000 families with 5,000 members and some forty active committees and organizations. We take great pride in our parish as is reflected in the vibrancy of our church and community center programs.

Parish History

 

About Us

 

 

Interested in giving your donations electronically?

See our Faith Direct page.